Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DIY Popcorn

Both our boys love popcorn but the store bought popcorn packets are so expensive. I thought about buying an air popper but then I read somewhere that you can put straight up popcorn kernels in the microwave and they will pop. I thought to myself - Dear Lord instant popcorn is the biggest facade! So I made my own insant popcorn packets. You could proably just put them together at the time you want the popcorn but I work full time so if its going to get eaten in our house it needs to be pre-packaged and done.  here is what I did. Its simple, easy and CHEAP! 


You will need:
Paper Lunch style bags
Popcorn kernels (1/4 C per bag)
A Pen - I used a sharpie that was lying around
A plastic baggie (if you so desire - I resue these since they don't get dirty)

For each paper bag you will want to throw in aproximately 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels. Fold up the bag and insert into the plastic bag (optional).  
When you are ready to enjoy your popcorn just place it into the microwave for aprox 2 mins or you can put it on your popcorn setting. Just like the store bought popcorn says stop once the kernals stop popping or are popping longer than 3 seconds.
Now you can add salt, pepper, or whatever suits you! On move night we tossed it in a bowl and added melted butter for the boys. I take mine bare! Wasn't that EASY!


Enjoy,
Jen

No comments :